RIO's Hogan Short Shank Caddis
Hogan Brown is a busy guy, a professional fly-fishing guide and fly tier; he doesn't have time for one-trick-pony flies, which is why he designed the Short Shank Caddis. "The bead, diamond braid, and long, multi-colored, sparse dubbing are designed to create a very translucent pupa style pattern that looks great in the drift, in the film, or on the swing." By experimenting at the vise, Hogan designed one seriously dynamic caddis fly. "I just start messing around with ideas and see if they work. 95% of the time, this results in flies that look REALLY cool and make great Instagram photos but don't fish. The other 5% of the time, I find the flies come out looking like alien barf and fish like trout candy. The problem is no one looks at alien barf and thinks it will fish. This one falls in the 5% category."