By Max Salzburg
Next Level Trout School with Simon Gawesworth
May 29 - June 4, 2023
Big Sky Anglers, Montana
Join Far Bank's Education and Engagement Manager Simon Gawesworth and Big Sky Anglers in West Yellowstone, Montana and take your trout skills to the Next Level. This will be a highly educational, in-depth, Intermediate to advanced level Trout School, with top notch lodging at the Golden Stone Inn. This location offers easy access to hallowed waters including the Madison River in Montana, the Henry’s Fork in Idaho, and the Firehole, Gibbon, and Madison Rivers in Yellowstone National Park.
For anglers that want to take their fishing to the Next Level, this is the school for you. The course will be taught by Simon Gawesworth with Far Bank certified fly fishing instructors Justin Spence and Matt Klara from Big Sky Anglers, and is sure to be an exciting and highly educational adventure. The course is designed for the trout fly fisher who already has got the basic skills, and really wants to step up their level of knowledge, understanding, and ability.
Students will learn both on the water and in the classroom and spend two days working on their casting skills. Depending on casting ability and desires, students will receive instruction in distance, accuracy, double hauling, coping with wind, and river-specific casting skills such as the roll cast, single handed Spey casts, and fishing application casts such as the reach cast, aerial mend, positive curve (Shepherd’s Crook cast), and slack line casts. For those interested, an intro to trout Spey casting with light 2-handed rods can also be included. In addition, students will spend a full day on the river working on a range of fly fishing skills for moving water, such as technical dry fly fishing, entomology, advanced streamer techniques and rigs, controlled drag, mending skills and line control, tandem fly rigs, an intro to Euro nymphing, and fishing with soft hackles.
The final two days concentrate on putting into practice the skills you’ve learned while fishing with experienced guides from Big Sky Anglers on the Madison, Henry’s Fork, and the waters of Yellowstone National Park.
The incredible, diverse waters that surround West Yellowstone make this destination an IDEAL location for this school. From town we have easy access to the Madison River in Montana, the Henry’s Fork in Idaho, and the Firehole, Gibbon, and Madison Rivers within Yellowstone Park, in addition to smaller and lesser known waters. Angling opportunity abounds and the full suite of fly fishing methods will be in play during the time this school is in session. Catching trout on dries, nymphs, and streamers all in the same day is not an uncommon feat.
Students in the course will have the opportunity to try the latest Sage, RIO and Redington fly fishing equipment, all perfectly matched for the local waters surrounding West Yellowstone.
Far Bank Fly Fishing Schools are designed so that students leave the course with all the knowledge and skills needed for a lifetime of enjoyment in fly fishing. We do this by keeping the instructor to student ratio to an absolute minimum. On group lesson days there will be a maximum of 4 students per instructor, and on the putting-into-practice fishing days, only two guests will fish with each.
Group Size: 8 students
- May 29: Arrive at Golden Stone Inn, West Yellowstone, MT, – introductions, evening talk and review of knots
- May 30: Morning classroom session and all day casting - focused on technical casting skills such as distance, accuracy, double haul, coping with wind. All subject to casting skill and time available.
- May 31: Morning classroom session, followed by a full day of instructed wade fishing. Techniques ranging from technical dry fly fishing, advanced streamer techniques and rigs, controlled drag, mending skills and control, tandem rigs, intro to Euro nymphing, and fishing soft hackles are on the agenda.
- June 1: Morning classroom session and all day casting - focused on river casting skills, such as roll cast, single handed Spey casts, and fishing application casts – reach cast, aerial mend, positive curve (Shepherd’s Crook cast), slack line casts, and intro to trout Spey outfits. All subject to casting skill and time available.
- June 2: Full day of guided fishing
- June 3: Full day of guided fishing
- June 4: Depart lodge
NOTE: This itinerary is only a guideline and subject to change based on water conditions, angler skills, wading ability, and weather.
Rate: Per person for a 6 night / 5 day school
Double Occupancy: $5,425
Single Occupancy: $6,525
- Use of Sage, Redington, and RIO demo gear
- All meals at the lodge
- Fishing instruction
- Guided fishing
- Transportation to/from the lodge
- Fishing license
In addition to finding the right water, having the right gear can help make any day that much better. For over 20 years Fly Water Travel has been fly fishing's most trusted and respected source for finding the right water. Now, along with Sage, RIO Products, and Redington, Fly Water Travel is a proud member of the Far Bank Enterprise Family. As part of this larger team, we are able to access decades worth of manufacturing passion and knowledge enabling us to expand our role to include in-depth advice on the world's best rods, reels, lines, and flies.